The first step is to get in touch with your local PTAC and take advantage of their free services and knowledge of the government sector. You can do that by filling out this client form.
There are a variety of sites the government uses to post opportunities including FedBizOpps, FedConnect, North Dakota State Procurement Office, DIBBS and more. PTAC clients can also take advantage of our Bidmatch software which searches these sites automatically based on your keywords and NAICs codes and emails you the results. We also offer Dodge Reports for construction clients which shows you some state, local and private opportunities.
You can find the state of North Dakota’s procurement opportunities here.
Yes you must register with the state procurement office of any state that you wish to do business with. To register with the state of North Dakota go here.
It depends on the state. Some states give no preference while others give preference to in state businesses, women owned businesses, veteran or service disabled veteran owned businesses, while others claim no preference unless the state you reside in has a preference and then they will apply those rules to your bid to match your state’s preference.
The Vet’s First Contracting Program is a program run through the VA for any veteran or service disabled veteran that wants to do business with the VA. The VA gives preference whenever possible to veterans and this program helps to protect against fraud or those who want to try and take advantage of the system. Vetbiz.gov is a great resource as well as your local PTAC. A list of certified Veteran’s counselors can be found here.
The basic requirements for bidding on a contract include obtaining a DUNS number, identifying your NAICS codes, and completing your SAM profile. Aside from these it is also wise to sign up on sites like FBO, register with the states you do business in, complete your SBA profile and get signed up as a client with your local PTAC.
There are a lot of great resources out there to research what the government has bought and is planning to buy. Some of these sites include FPDS, USA Spending, FBO, and Acquisition.
The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) are six digit classification codes for products and services used by Federal statistical agencies as the standard in classifying business establishments.
A DUNS number is a 9 digit code that is assigned to you by Dun and Bradstreet. This is how the government will identify you. Go to here to get information regarding your free DUNS numbers.
SAM is the System for Award Management and it is the primary registration required for doing business with the federal government. You cannot legally win an award or get paid for a contract unless you are registered and active in SAM.
You can find out more about SAM by going to their website at www.sam.gov and click on their ‘Help’ tab to watch their demonstration videos.
The registration process with SAM can be frustrating to those new to the government contracting community. Fortunately the PTAC staff can help you through the process.
In accordance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) subpart 4.11 “Prospective contractors shall be registered in the SAM database prior to award of a contract or agreement...
If you have never registered in CCR or SAM, then a CAGE code will automatically be assigned to you in the process of registration. If you forgot your CAGE code or are having issues with it go here to get more information.
The 8(a) Business Development Program is the SBA’s certification for socially and economically disadvantaged businesses. It lasts 9 years from the point of acceptance and makes a business eligible for set asides. For help with your 8(a) application please contact your local PTAC for technical assistance.
HUBZone stands for Historically Underutilized Business Zone. This program is for businesses whose principle office is located in a HUBZone who has 35% of their employees living within a HUBZone. To check and see if your business is located in one of these zones, consult the map.
A small disadvantaged business is any business 51% owned by a socially or economically disadvantaged individual and is small by the SBA standards. Click here for more information.
SBA sets the standards for small businesses and it is based on either dollar amounts or employees. To see the NAICS based size standards table go here.